When you buy your bus ticket from Kao San road area to Siem Reap you will have to deal with this situation: the minivan will stop in a restaurant/waiting area about 1 km away from the border. And then someone tells you that the visa is 1200 bahts and they will get it for you for 1300 bahts (+100 if you don’t have passport sized photos).
How to avoid Poipet visa scam:
- Do not comply! This scam works only because the majority pays even if they know it’s a scam. Just get the visa by yourself.
- You will have to walk around 10 to 15 minutes to the border.
- You check out of Thailand and the official visa office is between two borders on right hand side.
- The price you should pay is 800 bahts + 100 bahts if you don’t have your photos or 20$ USD + 100 bahts (if no photo).
- Stamp your passport at Cambodian border
- Right after someone will guide you to the shuttle bus to the bus station where you will wait your bus to Siem Reap.
- Or save a walk and get your visa online: Cambodia eVisa
- If you have not passed the Thai border, you are not in the official Cambodia visa office (see map below)
- Do not change your US dollar for Cambodia Riels in Poipet, actually you don’t even need to change money at all.